Monday, January 18, 2010

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

My sister and I got a car on our 16th birthday. We named it Ruby. I secretly called her Ruby Tuesday.

Ruby lasted a pretty long time. One-hundred-eighteen-thousand-eight-hundred-twenty-four gorgeous miles.

As I was driving to sell Ruby I actually got a tear in my eye. Sometimes I think I’m overly nostalgic about things, but as I thought about it more I realized that I’m okay with it. I think it’s okay to look back fondly about the things that got me where I am today. It’s the journey, right? Ruby was my first car. She took me to the events that shaped my life.

If Ruby could talk she'd probably tell you about that time we were at our secret meeting spot. Or that time we made out in front of our parents’ house. Or that time we made an inside joke. Or that time that burn got on the back seat. Or that time the radio turned up when it was turned down. Or that time with the nurf gun. Or that time the spider crawled out of the air conditioning. Or that time you killed it with an ice pick. Or that time I cried. Or that time that guy said that thing. Or that time I was speeding. Or that time there were more spiders. Or that time the visor broke. Or that time the emblem fell off the back. Or that time it smelled really really bad. Or that time I went to soccer practice. Or that time I went to a soccer game. Or that time I drove to Garland, Plano, Dallas, Fort Worth, Tulsa, and Austin. Or that time we got in a fight. Or that time I sang off key. Or that time I confessed. Or that time I laughed. Or that time I made a friend. Or that time I lost one. Or that time that dent got there. Or that time it rained. Or that time I realized I loved you.

I'm definitely going to miss Ruby, and no one will ever be quite like her. But I have a new friend, and her name is Elenor. I know we're going to get along famously.

This is Ray. I couldn't have gotten this car without him. He rocks pretty hard.

This has been Ashley, and still I'm going to miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment