Monday, June 29, 2009

Hot Stuff

Ashley here. I want to start this one off by stating the obvious. It’s really really hot out there.  Not just kind of hot. It’s over-100-everyday-Texas-summer-hot. Regardless, this past week I have spent a lot of my non-working time outside. So I’ve been sporting an eternal beaded mustache and sweating through shirts. And yes, I tend to wear more than one shirt at a time and I realize it may seem pretty ridiculous, but I like layers. I'm trying to stop.

Monday 100°-- I went hiking in the Greenbelt, which I found to be a great way to trick myself into working out. I think my favorite part was when my friend Brett and I were on a small path and were approached by a running group coming from the opposite direction. The leader yelled “WALKERS! WALKERS!” and we stepped off the trail so the group of them could pass in single file. I found it pretty hilarious. I don’t really think it was absolutely necessary for him to call me out for going for a recreational walk through the woods. But who knows, maybe it was the adrenaline from dodging branches and avoiding sprained ankles that made him do it.

Thursday 105°-- I braved the heat again to play some sand volleyball with friends. As this was the day of Michael Jackson’s death, there was a boom box playing the best of Michael Jackson, naturally. I don’t know if it was as much of game as it was a retrospect of MJ’s life and tribute dance party for some. Following the game there was a gathering at a friend’s apartment to listen to Off The Wall and Thriller on vinyl.

Saturday 102°-- My friends Brett, Molly, Patrick, and I took an incredibly scenic drive to Blanco. After living in Dallas and Fort Worth it still amazes me how green and hilly everything is here. In Blanco, we visited the Real Ale Brewery for their 13th anniversary. We set up camp in the best shade we could find and listened to music, ate food, drank beer, and took a tour of the brewery all for a whopping $0. Afterward, we went to the Blanco River and swam, talked to friendly strangers, and made friends with a dog named Lenny. To finish it off we turned at the one stoplight in the town and ate some delicious bar-b-que. On the way home, we found a fireworks stand on the side of the highway and stopped. Austinites really love their fireworks and know a lot about them. I, however, had no idea what was going on but was glad to be there.

That was the cliffs notes version but you get the idea. There was also great food, movies, and company this week. Join us next week as Patty recaps us on her cruise. This is Ashley, and it’s all happening in the heat.

1 comment: